Connect With Us   |   OHC Newsletter   |   Donate Now

‘Current emergency’: New COVID-19 outbreak hits Burlington and triggers public health investigation

Posted: January 13, 2021

(January 12, 2021)

By: Louie Rosella, Burlington Post

 

Halton Public Health is investigating a new coronavirus outbreak in Burlington.

Halton Region revealed today (Jan. 12) that an outbreak has been declared at Mount Nemo Christian long term care home in Burlington.

So far, one person is infected and the outbreak, declared Jan. 10, is affecting the “entire facility,” Halton Region said.

This outbreak comes a day after the Ontario Health Coalition said COVID-19 outbreaks in the province’s health care settings threaten to topple “devastating records set in the first wave” if more isn’t done, including military support for the “current emergency” in long term care homes and a “massive recruitment drive to address the staffing crisis in long-term care,” along with better accountability for long-term care home operators and much stronger infection control measures.

“…there is no question that the outbreaks are not in control as many outbreaks have grown alarmingly and the number of people — both residents and staff affected — has rapidly increased,” according to a release from the Coalition. “The second wave of COVID-19 in long-term care has sharply escalated. Clearly the measures that have been taken are not adequate. Virtually every day we hear from staff and families about inadequate PPE, improper cohorting and infection control practices, lack of accountability for the home operators who are not ensuring adequate safety measures, and crisis-level staffing shortages.”

Click here for original article