Long Term Care Homes Continue to Struggle During the Second Wave of COVID-19
Posted: December 18, 2020
(December 17, 2020)
By: 104.7 Heart FM
The Ontario Health Coalition has released a 66 page report outlining why long term care homes continue to be the hardest hit during the second wave of COVID-19.
ONTARIO – In the past 24 hours alone, 18 residents of Long Term Care homes in Ontario have died and there have been 115 new reported COVID-19 infections.
The Ontario Health Coalition says the second wave of COVID-19 has hit long-term care hard. As of December 15, four-thousand five hundred and ninety-four residents and staff had been infected since September 1. Including yesterday’s death toll, the number of residents that have died in the second wave alone is more than 700.
The Ontario Health Coalition says the measures from the Province after the first wave was not enough. They have taken a deep dive into the policies and plans by the Ford government and reveals what has gone wrong. They have done a 66 page report, which shows a staffing shortage as one of the biggest failures of the Long Term health Crisis.
Chair of the Oxford Health Coalition Bryan Smith says locally, we have actually done a pretty good job, compared to the rest of the Province.
The report comes on the same day the Province announced new measures for Long Term Care Homes.
They’re launching one of the largest recruitment and training drives in the province’s history to deliver on its commitment to improve care for seniors in long-term care homes. The province released its long-term care staffing plan that sets out actions to hire more staff, improve working conditions for existing staff, drive effective and accountable leadership, and implement retention strategies.