Ontario needs a ‘new normal’ in post-pandemic long-term care
Posted: May 6, 2020
(May 5, 2020)
By: Malcolm Buchanan, The Hamilton Spectator
We need a new “normal.” Long-term care, nursing home care, community care facilities and home care should become an integral part of the Ontario health-care system. We need to rethink the long-term care structure and regime from top to bottom that must include:
- significantly more federal and provincial government funding
- ensure that all long-term care staff are trained and qualified
- ensure that all long-term front-line staff are unionized and are well paid, including benefits commensurate with their respective responsibilities
- ensure that there are frequent inspections with no prior warnings
- improve infection control practices; and ensure that there are up-to-date PPE gear for all employees and staff.
We need government to make meaningful public investments in long-term care facilities and to reverse the pattern of private long-term home care facilities. No more private for-profit long-term care facilities. They must become an outdated and failed relic of the past.