EVENT: Public Consultation on Public Hospital Reform
Posted: June 2, 2017
(June 2, 2017)
Now is the time when we can make a difference
Organizations and individuals are invited to attend and submit oral or written submissions on reforming Ontario’s hospitals in the public interest. We are holding public hearings across the province. Your input will be used to help create a report on reforming hospitals in the public interest which will be released publicly in the fall. We will use the recommendations from the hearings to measure the political parties’ health care plans leading into next spring’s provincial election.
Deadline for booking a space for oral presentation to give your input at the hearings: Friday October 10, 5 p.m. Spaces are 10 minutes per person. To book a time to make an oral submission, people have to call the Local Health Coalition in their area or the Ontario Health Coalition at (416)-441-2502 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for written submissions: Friday October 27, 5 p.m. Written submissions can be as
informal as a hand-written note. All submissions will be accepted.
People are invited to come and observe the hearings. There will be time set aside for audience
participation and last-minute submissions on a first-come first-served basis.
We want to hear ideas about:
- Gaps in services: What public hospital services have been cut and what services are needed in our communities?
- Improving access to care: What are the particular issues of concern regarding hospital planning in your area?
- Properly funding Ontario’s hospitals: Ideas for ensuring that funding goes to care and vital support functions in our hospitals.
- Improving quality of care.
- Improving public access to information and meaningful public input.
- Improving public ownership and democratic control.
- Re-integrating services into public hospitals to improve care and restore public ownership.
- Ensuring hospitals best serve our communities: rural and urban, of diverse age, with cultural sensitivity and respect for our communities’ diversities.
Locations and dates
Thursday, October 12, 3 – 7 pm. Italian Cultural Centre 132 Algoma St. S.
Welland Saturday, October 14, 10 – 11:30 a.m. Welland Community Wellness Complex, 145 Lincoln St.
St. Catharines Saturday, October 14, 1 – 2:30 p.m. Public Library, Mills Room, 54 Church St.
Ottawa Monday, October 16, 3 – 7 p.m. PSAC Building, 233 Gilmour St.
Trenton Tuesday, October 17, 3 – 7 p.m. Public Library, 7 Creswell Dr.
Toronto Wednesday, October 18, 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. OSSCO 333 Wilson Ave., Ste 406.
Scarborough Wednesday, October 18, 3 – 6:30 p.m. Bendale Public Library, 1515 Danforth Rd.
Chatham Thursday, October 19, 3 – 5 p.m. St. Clair College, Thames Campus Arena Blue Line Rm, 1001 Grand Ave. W.
Wallaceburg Thursday, October 19, 6 – 8 p.m. Legion, 52 Margaret Ave.
North Bay Saturday, October 21, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Royal Canadian Legion office, 150 First Avenue W.
Woodstock Saturday, October 21, 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. Southside Aquatic Centre, 315 Finkle St.
Hamilton Monday, October 23, 5 – 8 p.m. YWCA Auditorium, 75 McNab St. S.
London Tuesday, October 24, 3 – 7 p.m. Central Public Library, Hunt Rm, 251 Dundas St.
Windsor Wednesday, October 25, 3 – 7 p.m. Central Public Library, Fred- Israel Room, 850 Ouellette Ave.
Durham/Ajax Thursday, October 26, 3 – 7 p.m. Ajax Community Centre, North Hall, 75 Centennial Rd
All are welcome to come and watch the hearings and join in the discussion.